Option 2 Eligibility Requirements
This option to qualify for BCBA certification requires an acceptable degree, an acceptable faculty appointment, acceptable practical experience, and passing the BCBA examination.
Applicants must possess a minimum of a graduate degree (e.g., master’s or doctoral) in an acceptable field of study from a qualifying institution. Acceptable fields of study are behavior analysis, education, or psychology. Degrees may also be accepted from degree programs in which the candidate completed a BACB verified course sequence. Applicants who are unsure of whether the field of study of their degree is acceptable may request a preliminary review.
2. Faculty Teaching and Research
a. Faculty Appointment
The applicant must complete at least 3 years (cumulative) of full-time work as a faculty member at a qualifying institution within a 5-year period.
The faculty appointment must have included acceptable teaching, which is defined as:
- The applicant must have taught at least 5 sections/iterations of behavior-analytic coursework
- The applicant must have taught at least 2 of the following behavior-analytic content areas in separate courses: concepts and principles of behavior, single-subject research methods, applied behavior analysis, and ethics in behavior analysis
- Each course must have been exclusively or primarily devoted to behavior-analytic content
- Coursework must have been taught at the graduate level
Required documentation for this teaching is a letter from the applicant’s department head and course syllabi.
The applicant must have published one article with the following characteristics
- Behavior analytic in nature (per Baer, Wolf, & Risley, 1968)
- Included at least one experimental evaluation
- Published in a high-quality, peer-reviewed journal
- The applicant was the first, second, or corresponding author
- The article could have been published at any time in the applicant’s career
Required documentation for this research is a copy of the article.
The applicant must complete experience that fully complies with all of the current Experience Standards. Applicants must carefully review the experience standards with their supervisor(s) before beginning their experience. Please note that these standards stipulate training requirements for trainees and supervisors which must be completed before experience begins.
See our Audit Process webpage for additional information about what to do in the event of an audit.
Visit our Certificant Registry to locate BCBAs willing to supervise the applied experience of those pursuing certification.
Applicant must take and pass the BCBA examination. Authorization to take the examination is only provided to applicants who have submitted a complete application to the BACB, including all documentation necessary to demonstrate that they have met all of the criteria above.