To commemorate the life and contributions of Michael Hemingway, the BACB honors an individual each year for their distinguished contributions (a) to the development of public policy related to behavior analysis and/or (b) to increase the availability of behavior-analytic services.
A founding member of the BACB with an unwavering devotion to behavior analysis, Michael Hemingway served the Florida Department of Children and Families’ Developmental Services Office for a remarkable 17 years. During this time, he worked closely with Dr. Jerry Shook and was instrumental in designing and developing the Florida Behavior Analyst Certification Program, which eventually became the BACB. Michael advanced the profession by applying behavior analysis beyond developmental disabilities to other areas including child welfare and mental health. An extraordinary colleague and human being, Michael’s legacy continues to ensure that behavior analysis services are provided with integrity and quality to individuals with behavioral needs.
The Hemingway Award is presented at a national or regional behavior analysis conference each year. The BACB covers the costs of conference registration, airfare, and one night’s lodging for the recipient.
- 2006 – Saul Axelrod, PhD, BCBA-D, Temple University
- 2007 – Sigrid Glenn, PhD, BCBA, University of North Texas
- 2008 – Lorri Unumb, Esq., Vice President for State Government Affairs, Autism Speaks
- 2009 – Fran Warkomski, PhD, BCBA-D, Florida Institute of Technology
- 2010 – Richard Blumenthal, Esq., Attorney General of the State of Connecticut
- 2011 – Greg Wagner, PhD, State of California Developmental Services (ret.)
- 2012 – Jerry Shook, PhD, BCBA-D, Behavior Analyst Certification Board, posthumously
- 2013 – John Scibak, PhD, Massachusetts State Representative
- 2014 – Mickey Keenan, PhD, BCBA-D, University of Ulster
- 2015 – Sandra Harris, PhD, Rutgers University
- 2016 – Sharon Chien, Seek Education, Inc.
- 2017 – Gina Green, PhD, BCBA-D, Chief Executive Officer, Association of Professional Behavior Analysts
- 2018 – Dr. Jana Gandalovičová, MD, Czech Society for Applied Behavior Analysis
- 2019 – Richard Smith, PhD, BCBA-D, University of North Texas