In memory of the life and contributions of Michael Hemingway, the BACB annually honors an individual distinguished for his or her contributions (a) to the development of public policy related to behavior analysis and/or (b) to increasing the availability of behavior analytic services.
Mr. Michael Hemingway was a founding member of the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc. (BACB). In his 17 years of service for the statewide Developmental Services Office of the Florida Department of Children and Families, Mr. Hemingway worked closely with Dr. Jerry Shook and was instrumental in designing and developing the Florida Behavior Analyst Certification Program. Michael and Jerry led the way for the Florida Behavior Analyst Certification Program to evolve into an international certification program…the BACB. Michael furthered applied behavior analysis beyond developmental disabilities, to areas including child welfare and mental health. Michael left us early. He was an extraordinary colleague and human being with a special devotion to behavior analysis. His legacy to our profession has been ensuring that behavior analysis services are provided with integrity and quality to individuals with behavioral needs.
The BACB will sponsor the honoree’s attendance at the annual convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International, the Association of Professional Behavior Analysts, or another behavior analysis convention. The BACB will cover the costs of convention registration, airfare, and one night’s lodging.
These individuals have displayed extraordinary commitment to behavior analysis and/or have made exemplary contributions to assist others in obtaining behavior-analytic services.
- 2006 – Dr. Saul Axelrod, BCBA-D, Temple University
- 2007 – Dr. Sigrid Glenn, BCBA, University of North Texas
- 2008 – Lorri Unumb, Esq., Vice President for State Government Affairs, Autism Speaks
- 2009 – Dr. Fran Warkomski, BCBA-D, Florida Institute of Technology
- 2010 – Richard Blumenthal, Esq., Attorney General of the State of Connecticut
- 2011 – Dr. Greg Wagner, State of California Developmental Services (ret.)
- 2012 – Dr. Jerry Shook, BCBA-D, Behavior Analyst Certification Board, posthumously
- 2013 – Dr. John Scibak, Massachusetts State Representative
- 2014 – Dr. Mickey Keenan, BCBA-D, University of Ulster
- 2015 – Dr. Sandra Harris, Rutgers University
- 2016 – Sharon Chien, Seek Education, Inc.
- 2017 – Dr. Gina Green, BCBA-D, Chief Executive Officer, Association of Professional Behavior Analysts
- 2018 – Dr. Jana Gandalovičová, MD, Czech Society for Applied Behavior Analysis
- 2019 – Dr. Richard Smith, BCBA-D, University of North Texas